Don’t let gynecomastia take away your confidence. Male breast reduction surgery is the fastest way to get rid of gynecomastia permanently. Consult with the certified and qualified medical professionals for treating gynecomastia
Man boobs (Gynecomastia) caused by many things, such as excess weight gain, anabolic-androgenic steroids use, and certain medications. Go here to read the most common causes of gynecomastia
- 1 What is Gynecomastia surgery
- 2 Who is a good candidate for Gynecomastia surgery?
- 3 Gynecomastia surgery cost
- 4 Gynecomastia insurance coverage
- 5 Choosing a gynecomastia specialist
- 6 Gynecomastia surgery risks
- 7 Gynecomastia surgery preparation
- 8 Gynecomastia surgical procedure
- 9 After gynecomastia surgery
- 10 Conclusion
What is Gynecomastia surgery
Bilateral gynecomastia surgery is a surgical procedure to correct enlarged breasts in men. Technically, this plastic surgery often called reduction mammaplasty (mammoplasty)
In some severe cases, the patient has excess breast tissue. This has an impact on the breast that looks sagging and extend the areola section.
In such cases, surgery is performed to correct the areola sizes and positions. In addition, excess skin can be removed
Who is a good candidate for Gynecomastia surgery?
Gynecomastia surgery is performed for candidates based on…
- Physically healthy and do not have certain medical conditions
- Normal weight
- Unsuccessful in alternative medical treatments
- Non-smokers and non-drug users
- Have enlarged breasts
Puberty in adolescent boys causes large hormonal fluctuations, it happened between the ages of 12 and 19 years. This is quite normal actually and will heal itself in a few years. Some of its indications like widen shoulders or thicken facial hair.
Gynecomastia surgery cost
The surgery pricing may vary actually! The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) writes down around $ 4,123 for the average cost of male gynecomastia surgery. This is based on its statistical data in 2019.
Meanwhile, a national survey by the American Board of Cosmetic Surgery (ABCS) puts the prices starting at $ 4,845.
Keep in mind, the prices above are not total costs. It does not include the other costs such as the facilities, anesthesia, prescription drugs, medical tests, and so on.
Gynecomastia insurance coverage
Another key point is insurance coverage for gyno surgery. Unfortunately, surgery for gynecomastia is not covered by many health insurances. But don’t worry, a lot of plastic surgeons offering financial options that are tailored to patient resources.
FYI, the ASPS points out the criteria of insurance coverage for 3rd-party payers. Find out here
Choosing a gynecomastia specialist
Make sure you choose only the best clinical health care services! Simple things that you need to pay attention are
- Have special skills and experience in male breast reduction surgery. Ask about body contouring pictures before and after surgery. If possible, how many surgical procedures they made it?
- Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Yes, this is very important, choosing a certified cosmetic surgeon is a must. The facilities at an accredited surgical center are no joke. Because official accreditation bodies set strict standards for patient care, sanitation, staff, and equipment used.
Go here to find the best gynecomastia surgeons near me!
Gynecomastia surgery risks
When consulting about gynecomastia operation, the doctor will explain all the risks and potential complications, such as…
- the effect of anesthesia
- swelling and pain resulting from hematoma and seroma
- breast size is not balanced
- uneven breast contour and shape
- the nipple or breast changes in sensation (temporary even permanent)
- damage to the fat glands in the breast (fat necrosis)
- poor wound healing process
- revision surgery or scar revision
- there is damage to the nerves, muscles, blood vessels, and possibly the lungs
Gynecomastia surgery preparation
During the consultation, please make sure, to tell the truth about your goals, lifestyle, and most importantly about health. Some basics preparation of gynecomastia surgery is…
- Medical tests. Require lab tests to check your health condition
- Stop smoking, for real
- Stop drug use of anti-inflammatory, aspirin, or herbs supplementation. It may result in excessive bleeding
Gynecomastia surgical procedure
There are 2 commons gynecomastia surgery types, liposuction, and tissue excision. The cosmetic surgeon will recommend the type of surgery based on your needs.
Administration of intravenous sedation or general anesthesia to the patient is made before the gynecomastia surgical procedure.
When the cause of enlarged male breast triggered by excessive adipose tissue, then the liposuction technique is the most preferred option.
Procedurally, a small incision in the side of the patient’s chest, and excess fat removed through vacuum suction.
Please note, it will take a long time to heal after liposuction surgery.
In the first week, the patient wears a compression garment to help minimize swelling. Also, it supports the tissue healing process
About 3 weeks, stay out with any strenuous exercise.
However, the healing process may differ from person to person. For this reason, it’s important to follow the recommendations of your cosmetic surgeon.
Tissue excision (Mastectomy)
If the patient has a severe case of gynecomastia, then surgery procedure with tissue excision is required.
This type of gynecomastia procedure provides more optimal results for excess tissue in the breast gland
The surgeon will make an incision around the areola edges or in your chest wrinkles, then excessive glandular tissue and excess skin completely removed.
The recovery process after tissue excision surgery is similar to liposuction. However, most of the patients may experience pain and swelling.
1 week after surgery, the patient will return to normal activities. An exception for physical exercise, just do it gradually
After gynecomastia surgery
After male breast reduction surgery completed, the chest appearance will gradually improve. Within a few days, the pain sensation is still felt, but it’s minimal.
Most cosmetic surgeons prescribe pain medication. However, some over-the-counter drugs like Tylenol (acetaminophen) and Ketalar (ketamine) are the best alternatives to non-opioid pain relievers.
Post-surgical compression garments are often given during period treatment. Its main function to optimize the healing process while providing comfort care
Some of these basic exercises rely on arm movements. Because after breast surgery, your arms and shoulders feel stiff. For that reason, doctor will recommend some light exercises.
Get ready if your doctor allows to do it. Here are some specific exercises that work to restore your flexibility and strength
- Wall climb
- Shoulder areas such as shrug, roll, blade stretch, and pinch
- Mobility exercise with overhead reach
- Elbow circles
Stop exercising immediately if you feel pain (or even swelling) in the chest or arms. Talk to your doctor about the symptoms.
Gynecomastia can cause psychological problems in men. In fact, many cases are resolved over a long period of time. The risk of breast cancer in men is minimal. However, the combination of gynecomastia with Klinefelter’s syndrome makes it possible.
In my opinion, there are 3 ways for reducing gynecomastia. Natural, Medical Treatment, and Surgery.
For medical treatments, there are 3 options… Taking anti-estrogens, Androgen therapy, or Aromatase Inhibitors (AI). And the price ranges medium to high
While Gynecomastia surgery is a fast way to removes excess fat and rebuilt chest contoured. This one costs a lot of money
So, it’s up to you! choose one of the male breast reconstruction that suits your needs